To learn more about request formatting, making requests, and the tools available, visit see "Making API APIv1 Requests", below.
You can also get the PHP SDK for the PHP SDK for PHP libraries and sample code.
- The API only comes with the full 6Connect IPAM product. If you would like to upgrade to the full version, contact sales@6Connect.com.
- All transactions are over HTTPS (SSL - port 443) only. Any transaction not using SSL will be rejected, and you will have potentially exposed sensitive data.
- All API results are formatted in JSON. XML support is coming soon.
- All requests are either HTTP GET or POST requests. We suggest using POST if the length of data in the request is over 8KB.
- You can use any language you would like to query the API. We currently have an SDK an SDK for PHP. Looking at the sample code would probably help you implement it in any language though.
An API request looks like this:
An API response is a JSON-encoded text string, and looks like this:
Using API Keys:
API Keys can be generated from your ProVision instance by navigating to the Admin panel by using the gear icon in the upper right hand corner, then navigating to the API tab. The API tab will present the API authentication information in the following format:
API Key: 38 00-TMHQV8CV2XZYC2ZS TMHQV8CV2XZYABCD
Secret Key: 6e04e5822ce90feaa8947ded46c46878 6e04e5822ce10fecc8947dedxc46878
The secret key serves as an API password and is used in the creation of the API Authentication hash. The formula for creating a API query hash from an API query and a Secret Key is the following:
Hash = Base64Encode( Sha256HMACHash ( QueryString, SecretKey ) )
In PHP, this would be performed with the following line of code:
$hash = base64_encode(hash_hmac('sha256', $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'], $secretKey, TRUE));
The 6Connect API can be used in just about any scripting or programming language. We have a PHP SDK that a PHP SDK that provides example code, and several useful functions for interacting with the API. Even if you don't want to use PHP, the samples will help you create code in other languages
The API only comes with a licensed 6connect ProVision application. If you would like access to a ProVision license please contact email@example.com.
Create Your API Credentials
To use the 6connect SDK for PHP, you will need a 6connect API Key and Secret Key.
To create your API Key and Secret Key:
*Note that generating a new API will automatically revoke an older API Key.
Aside from following the prerequisites, you will need a basic understanding of object oriented programming in PHP and the right tools installed on your system to use the API.
If you aren't sure what is running on your system, you can create a php page on your system and call phpinfo() and view this page in a browser, or run php -i on the command line.
Install the SDK
Download the file "6connect_ProVision_PHP_SDK_5_1_4.tar" from the attachments list below:
SDK for Python
Install the SDK